Thursday, January 6, 2011

Reminiscing

Ringing in the new year has brought with it some reminiscing. I was going through all our pictures, organizing and sorting them, and saving them on a backup. Wow, going through photos of my first meeting with Yonas, of our time in Ethiopia, of our airport arrival, of his baby days, brought back a flood of emotions. I wish I could go back to those days...just for a moment or two. They go by so fast.
This was our first meeting...one month shy of 2 years ago.

It makes me want to adopt again really really really bad. And although I can't compare it to having a biological child, I truly do think it is absolutely the most amazing experience. I'm not saying I love Yonas more than someone loves their bio child but when you wait so long and work so hard for something, going through so many ups and downs, I think you appreciate it more. I'm not sure what the future holds but I do know I want at least one more child but how that will happen, or even if that will happen remains to be seen.

12 comments:

Ranavan said...

Oh what a photo!!!!!

I think you said it just perfectly!

Dancin' Momma said...

What a great photo :)

We just adolpted our new puppy from Mexico. We use "adolpting" a dog instead of adopting, because Dom says that adopting is only for kids, adolpting is for everything else...smart kid! The adolpting process just about did me in! I don't think I could survive an adoption process anymore. LOL

I hope all your dreams come true. You NEED to find time for coffee. No more flu bugs or school, coffee needs to be a priority. :) Plus bring the dogs to run in the backyard. The new pup is too small to go out there anyway. She can stay inside with us while your pooches play in the snow.

Anonymous said...

Well said my friend!! Look how little he was there. How our babies grow up so fast I will never know...

Keltie said...

Ooh! I can't wait to hear what awesome things are in store for you guys!

Connie said...

He's so little there! He has that uncertainty in his eyes that I see in almost every newly adopted child. It doesn't take long and that anxiety and uncertainty is replaced with smiling, confident faces, which I see in your son. I love seeing that transformation take place.

hazel said...

OMG, his face! It brings tears to my eyes.

And I hear you on the 'specialness' of adopting a child vs bio. The same, but different. And something just a little bit extra, I think.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, RICKI & YOYO!!

Sarah @ Cozy.Cottage.Cute. said...

Wow, two years ago already!!

Happy New Year to you and the rest of your fam... :)

Sarah

Barb said...

I agree with you. When you wait, and fight, and cry, and fret, and ache for a child, whether they be biological or adopted, you appreciate them so, so, so much more. I've often made that exact comment and while I know it is not fair to judge, it is tough to see some of the decisions others make because they take their child/children for granted.

Great to see your little man is doing so well!

Barb

Julie M. said...

what a beautiful post, and that picture is so sweet!

Sherri said...

No kidding - he's so sweet - I'll never forget holding him when we got Mikias - we just tried to drink in his huge eyes!
Love you Yonas!
Sherri

Jess said...

It feels like I just looked at that photo not that long ago!! what a sweet heart....

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

Ahhhh, I remember following on your every word. I LOVE this picture. You are such a good Mom~

Jill