Thursday, May 13, 2010

A 2 Year Old

I now have a 2 year old. It's fun having a 2 year old. He can be really silly and a lot of fun. And he can also frustrate me to no end and test my patience like no other. The kid knows what he wants (or doesn't want) and make no mistake, he will do whatever it takes to get his way. If he wants something (say like pudding for breakfast this morning) and I say no, it is quickly followed by rapid foot stomping and drama-queen screaming. The other day I was on the phone with a potential babysitter and Yoyo wanted in the fridge so I was blocking him and of course he starts having a spazz. And I'm thinking "kid I need you to shut up for 2 minutes or this lady isn't going to allow you into her dayhome!" I am also now noticing that when he asks for something, he expects it NOW. I am sure this is from the fact that it's just him and so pretty much anytime he asks for a drink or whatever, I am able to get it for him right away. But heaven forbid the odd time I ask him to wait 2 seconds while I finish something, well it's the end of the world. So yeah, I'm thinking we need to start working on this!
That being said, he's not all bad ;) He can be a really good helper (translate that into making a simple task take 10 times longer to complete than if I did it myself). And he's more snuggly now than he used to be and will sit and watch tv (well only if it's Elmo). The other evening we were cuddling while watching videos of him when he was a baby and I was telling him that I was thankful that I got to be his mommy, blah, blah, blah, and then I told him I was sorry for the times I was a shitty mommy. He then kept repeating, "shitty mommy, mommy shitty, mommy shitty". Alright then, lesson learned. Watch what I say.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're not a shitty mommy, you're a super mommy! But that's really funny.

Ahhh, patience is so not a skill at this age.

Karen said...

Yeah, I got caught saying the F word once and I had to quickly turn it into something else. The replacement word (fudge or something) wasn't nearly as fun, so thankfully it was all forgotten quickly.

Two years is the age when our little guy started his downward spiral into full-on toddlerhood (which I'm hoping ends immediately on his upcoming third birthday) or, from his perspective, his upward climb to world domination.

At least they're interesting and entertaining and SUPER CUTE!

Brendan and Mary said...

That's hilarious! You just don't want him repeating that one later at the grocery store!!

June said...

Oh Ricki.... haha... hard way to learn that lesson! Here's hoping he forgets that one soon. Or you can just tell people he has a speech impediment and he is trying to say "pretty mommy". ;)

Dianne said...

Oooooh my that all sounds so familiar. :)

hazel said...

He's too smart for his own good :-)

Lizzard said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious! Yes, 2 can be challenging! But also super fun :). In my experience though, the headstrong thing doesn't really seem to go away... but I tell myself that the determination and stubbornness will probably serve them well in life...! Take care, Liz

Jill, Trevor, Kohl, Aliah said...

OMG Ricki. It has been a long time since I laughed out loud over a blog post. That is so funny. !!

Jill

Barb said...

Good one! I love your sense of humour.

Your story goes with me saying the F word this AM when I was trying to get the cart coin into the cart so I could put Peter in the cart before he or K took off into the store on their own, or better yet, back onto the street!

Stupid cart coins had K say fu-sakes! Only momentarily thank goodness!