Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day Two

Monday when I went to pick up Yoyo from the dayhome, he was TIRED! She tried to put him down for a nap but he just wouldn't go...who wants to sleep when there are KIDS to play with!!! So of course he went straight down for a sleep when we got home and then I had to wake him up 2 hours later for supper. But all in all, she said it went well and he had lots of fun.
Soooo, today I bring him there for the second time and he freaks out when I try to leave....hanging on to my leg for dear life and crying "mommy up" and the top of his lungs. Sighhhh, you're not making this easy for me kid. All day, I'm thinking he's probably still crying for me and thinking that I abandoned him (which logically I knew he was probably just fine and having lots of fun). But of course when I went to pick him up this afternoon, he was running around happy as heck! I was happy to see that (and yet selfishly sad that he didn't miss me all day).
However, apparently Yonas calls his babysitter "mommy". Say WHAT???? I smiled when she told me this but I was and am heartbroken inside. Why would my son, who has only ever called me mommy, start calling another lady who has cared for him a total of 14 hours mommy too? What does it mean? Anything? Am I that easily replaced? Now my mind is racing with all the bonding/attachment worries that I thought we were clear of.
We are off tomorrow to my parents cabin for the weekend. A last little getaway before school starts.

5 comments:

Dancin' Momma said...

You are not replaceable! He probably just does not know another term to use. Have you discussed what she should be called? We called our dayhome lady by her first name, and I always stressed and reinforced her name with D. You can also ask the caregiver to correct him and say, "No Mummy, I am Sally" or whatever.

So sad for Mummy. I spent many mornings with my ear pressed to the door of my dayhome listening until I heard D stop crying and start playing with the other kids. It usually took no more than a couple of minutes, but some days I really just wanted to go back in and grab him back. :(

The worst was those days when he cried when I got there to pick him up at the end of the day! He was just having too much fun and wanted to stay. Made Mummy very sad. :(

Keltie said...

Having been on both sides of that day home situation, I can tell you it is hard for all the grown ups involved. She was good to tell you right away. I agree with just reinforcing with him what you want her to be called. I promise you he will not call her mommy for long. And if it makes you feel better, it happens all the time. *hugs* I know it is so hard.

Sherri said...

Have no clue what's up with Mamush and Yonas but Mamush does the same - calls Chet 'Mommy' too ;)

Tova said...

Is it a common thing in Ethiopia? I know my girl from Liberia called everyone auntie and uncle for the longest time.

I took care of a baby that started to call me mommy. I would correct him, but his mom fired me after that. Sigh....so cool that your day home provider told you and sounds like she will support you and Yonas through this transition.

You are not replaceable.

hazel said...

ACK! I would lose it to hear that he calls the sitter mommy! But your other commenters make a load of sense, so not to worry.