Thursday, March 25, 2010

Our First "Conversation"

Yoyo's vocabulary is increasing in leaps and bounds. He pretty much repeats any word that I say and I couldn't even try to count how many words he uses on a regular basis. Most words he says sound very close to the actual word except for "careful" (tay tee) and "timeout" (pom pam). Even the caregiver at the gym's childcare commented to me yesterday how amazed she is at the amount of words he uses and how easy he is to understand. And yes I realize I am doing a little mommy bragging :)
This brings us to yesterday's "conversation". We had just gotten home from the gym and Yoyo was sitting at the island having his bedtime snack while I was preparing my supper.

M: Did you have fun playing at the gym today?

Y: "Dim?" (gym)

M: Yeah, did you play there?

Y: "Teeta?"

M: Yes, you got to see auntie Teresa didn't you? (my friend that I work out with)

Y: "Wauw?" (wall) "Hahd?" (head) "Owie?"

M: Did you hit your head on the wall and get an owie? (apparently he was running and fell and scraped his head on the wall)

Y: "Beebee" (baby)

M: Was there a baby there?

Y: "Beebee tying (crying)"

M: Oh, was the baby crying? (there really was a baby crying when I went in to pick him up)

Y: "whaa whaa" (his version of a baby's cry)

And then he went on to babble other stories that I couldn't understand. But, seriously, we had an actual conversation where he wasn't just repeating things back to me.

4 comments:

BCMommy said...

That is so great, Ricki! I love little toddler language! You should videotape him so you can watch it in a year or two. I saw a video of my youngest ( 4 1/2) the other day when he was 2 and his little squeaky voice and funny words brought me right back! I had forgotten how he used to speak when he was learning...
It goes so fast :(

Ranavan said...

Wow, so much has changed since his "oooh" and he would purse his cute little lips!!

I agree with Claire - you gotta get that on video!

The Turgeon Expansion said...

Pretty soon those conversations will turn to "mom, I need the car keys so I can go and pick Eden up for our hot date"!

Janice said...

It's such a great age. He's so cute and he looks like such a little man already. Since my youngest started JK this year, we have stopped going to the gym together and I just go while he's in school but I spent years using the service. What a great thing. One of these days I'll be using it again with my little Ethiopian princess.

Thanks for the support. I'm happy tomorrow is another week.