Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Ramblings

We've been having a couple of lazy days lately. Winter has decided to show her unwelcome face again. It has been snowing off and on for days now and I am sick and tired of it. I want my spring back.

We are now done with the whole teething thing. Yoyo's last 2 chompers popped through the other day. And while I'm happy to be done with the runny nose, cranky attitude, and no appetite, it's just another sign that my baby's no longer a baby.


Yoyo and I went shopping this morning and as usual we received many comments, all positive about how cute he is. Then this one lady approaches us and starts talking about his cute chubby cheeks and starts pinching them. Ugh! So I try to turn the stroller around and get on our way but she moved in front of us, continually touching his face and hair. Then she asks him if he's a momma's boy and I say he sure is, which she then replies "oh you can't be a momma's boy because you don't have the same colour of skin". Say WHAT??? So I said "actually he is 100% a momma's boy and no skin colour will ever change that" and I walked away. What I wanted to say was "you're a @#$%-ing ignorant #$%& and should learn to shut your mouth!".
This was "only" the 2nd negative comment we've gotten....the 1st one was way worse. But it sure makes me dread facing these situations when Yonas is old enough to understand what is said when these remarks are made.
Oh and speaking of remarks, we were standing in line at the grocery store yesterday and the lady in front of me asked me if I permed his hair. I had to laugh. Seriously?

9 comments:

BCMommy said...

People are so unbelievable!!!

Honestly, I'd better really learn to get a thick skin and have some snappy remarks ready because I am appalled at what people will say, especially right in front of a child! I think I may be teaching my daughter to say 'that was ignorant and racist'...is that wrong?
I'll have to practice saying 'how dare you say that in front of my child. Keep your backwoods, ignorant comments about my child's skin colour to yourself.'

I hate confrontation, but I guess I'm going to have to get used to it based on some of the posts I've read lately.

Anonymous said...

Oooo I outta!!! Don't people remember that, if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't say it. Geepers.

But, you responded good, pat on the back.

June said...

See, I probably would have gone with "bite me." Yours was much better.

emily said...

I cannot believe someone would say that! I think you handled it very well.... you must have been reeling inside.
And the perm comment?! Oh my.... some people are just crazy!

Tova said...

Ah, well done. But still a rotten experience. I tend to be a bit snarky to people if they are either negative or down right ignorant. Must learn to toughen up my skin and have witty, quick comebacks that do justice to my children. I tend to use sarcasm a lot, which is probably not so good with little kids.

Stephanie said...

That was a great response given the situation you were put into! We shouldn't have to deal with other people's ignorance...but tis a fact of life that most people are just dumb. I am pretty sure that I will end up popping someone in the kisser someday...I hope I develop your patience.

Stephanie said...

That was a great response given the situation you were put into! We shouldn't have to deal with other people's ignorance...but tis a fact of life that most people are just dumb. I am pretty sure that I will end up popping someone in the kisser someday...I hope I develop your patience.

Heidi said...

I agree with June. I think "bite me" would've been an excellent response. People are weird!

And the perm comment... Seriously! I guess it will give you something to laugh about someday.

Heidi

Connie said...

That comment is unbelievable and completely thoughtless! You handled it very well! I don't know what I would've done.

I had a man approach me in public recently and he began commenting on my son's hair and skin colour. He was comparing the differences between my son and "normal people, like us". Yes, he really used that word "normal"! I couldn't believe he was implying my son was not normal!

I can relate to your fears about how your son will react when he's old enough to understand these conversations. It's a little scary.